Annie’s Story

CSC_0215Tuesday September 29, 2015 I had my weekly doctor’s appointment. At this point in time I had been having Braxton hick’s contractions and I made sure to tell the Doctor. I didn’t see my doctor because she was out of the office that day. His response was you are measuring right on track and you are dilated 1 cm and 50% effaced. I asked the question if he doesn’t come on the 9th of October which was my due date what is the next step, and his response was they would induce me 2 weeks later. I was like um no that is not going to happen he will come before then.

I left went to work and continued to have Braxton hicks. Went home took a nap, got in a workout and a walk, then showered and went to bed. That night I was up every 30 minutes to an hour with contractions. I woke up on September 30th and went back to the doctor because I just felt like I was in labor or getting ready to go into labor and he said the same think you are 1 cm dilated and about 50% effaced. When we left I called my husband and told him what the doctor said, and I said he is a freaking quack all he did was laugh. I went home and laid in bed the rest of the day, got up and did my workout and went for a walk. I was determined to get him out of me.

Call me crazy but when I walked and worked out I felt better. I didn’t know what else to do. So I took a bath that night and kept telling Tyler that the doctor I saw that day was a quack. After I got out of the bath I felt awful, no matter what position I laid in I was in pain. I text my mom all night and kept a log of how far apart the contractions were.  By the morning of October 1st they were 10 minutes apart and some were even 6 to 7 apart. I could barely walk, and I had to hold onto something every time they happened. I probably slept for a total of 20 to 30 minutes that night. I called the doctor’s office again and this time they sent me to a different location one next to the hospital.

DSC_0195When the doctor walked in I said you are not sending me home being in this much pain. She said well let’s see. I was 4 cm and 100% effaced. She sent me to the hospital and said if you progress naturally they will keep you. So I got admitted and by 12 I was settled into my bed. I asked the nurse for some pain medication and she finally gave me some. At that time Tyler and my friend Sara headed out to get some lunch and some things out of the car that I had asked for so I could try to get some sleep. I finally fell asleep and slept for about 2 hours, and that 2 hours felt amazing. I got up and they walked back in the door and I told them I felt like I had to pee and to get the nurse. When she arrived I asked her when I was going to be checked again and she said whenever you want. I said ok perfect, I would like to be checked now. I also asked for more pain medication and she said only if you haven’t gone past 6 cm.

So at 3:08 pm the doctor came in and she was the sweetest woman I have ever met. She checked me and said that I was 8 cm dilated and asked if I wanted her to break my water now or when I was ready to push. I said just wait until I am ready to push. She said well if you get the urge to pee please let me know. The doctor asked me if I wanted an epidural and I said this whole pregnancy I said I didn’t want one and now I have told myself I am going to get one, she said you can have one but it may not kick in until after you have him. I said to heck with that what else are my options and she said you can have laughing gas, and I said perfect. So the nurse got that straight and in the mean time I called my mother because she was the one other person I wanted in the delivery room with me besides my husband. She arrived at 3:35pm and I started pushing at 3:42 p, she got here right in time which was a huge relief.

DSC_0211I could feel the dr break my water, when that happened I also felt a huge relief. I started pushing and pushed three times and then was told to stop. My mom said that when she told me to stop that they could see his head, I took a break and pushed again on my next contraction. When his head came out my mom and husband said that his head was a blueish purple and that the cord was around his neck but there was enough room for the doctor to slip her finger under it and so she didn’t worry. (They didn’t let me know these things while I was pushing) Then I continued to push and I was so caught up in breathing with the laughing gas mask that I wasn’t even in excruciating pain. I pushed for a total of twenty minutes and he came out, and the cord was wrapped all around him. Talk about relief.

When they put him on my stomach for the first time, I was honestly just truly thankful that he was out, breathing and simply ok. His head was down the first time I saw him and the only thing I could see was his callick and it’s the exact same one my brother and I have. I was speechless, the meaning of true love doesn’t exist until you lay your eyes on the creation that you and your husband have made. A mixture of you and him.  That first sweet cry that you hear, the first time you look at that face and their eyes, the little hands, fingers, feet, and toes, that cute little nose and those ears and I can’t forget that little pouty lip; these are the moments in which you realize that you would go through it all again over and over just for that moment. That moment where you realize that there is no greater love than that between a mother and a child. They took him after his father cut the umbilical cord and weighed him and cleaned him up and my sweet baby William Aiden Roberts was 20 inches long and weighed 7 pounds 7.6 ounces.