If you want to give a baby shower gift that will be useful and well loved, I have a list just for you. After years of working with new mothers and also raising my own babes, I know a thing or two about what a new mother needs and what she wants (if only you could give the gift of sleep…oh wait you can, it’s called a postpartum doula!)
Here are the things I love to give expecting mothers:
- Herbal Sitz Bath – If I know that she is planning a natural birth, I always try to throw some of this in her gift bag. It is wonderful for soothing a bruised and stretched perineum and gives a new mother a moment to collect herself and an excuse to soak in the tub. If she is the pro-active type, she might even want to make padcicles beforehand. If she’s going to be birthing in hospital, or you don’t know whether she’s into herbal baths, you could also get her a less fussy Sitz Bath Spray.
- C-Section Salve – A thoughtful gift for a mother who will be birthing by cesarean section.
- Nose Frida – This sucker (see what I did there?) is so gross. That is, until you are trying to feed a hungry baby who can’t breathe and eat at the same time! This little gadget is beloved by parents around the world.
- Muslin Swaddlers – they’re beautiful and soft and everyone loves them.
- The Original Squeeze – this gadget makes feeding messy foods so sweet. It’s all the convenience of a pouch with none of the waste.
- Baby Carrier – if you are feeling particularly generous, a wrap is a wonderful gift for new parents. Babies love to be carried and parents love to be hands free. It’s win-win!
- Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn: The Complete Guide – This book is packed full of great, evidence-based info that will help expectant and new parents make decisions that are right for them.
- The Happiest Baby On The Block: New parents can feel completely at a loss as to how to soothe their new baby. Dr Harvey Karp explains what a new baby needs and how parents can comfort and settle a fussy newborn.
- Postpartum Support – If you want to be loved by the expecting parents (especially mama) for all eternity, purchase the services of a postpartum doula. You are literally giving the gift of sleep and assuring that the new mother will have her own needs seen to as well as allowing her to confidently see to those of her baby. BEST GIFT EVER!
There it is. What would you add?