One of my favorite parts of pregnancy is nesting. Not being a highly organized person by nature, I enjoy the motivation that comes along with the nesting drive! There is nothing quite so sweet to an expecting mother as the feeling of being prepared, and what could make you feel more prepared than a custom birth kit?! (For the sake of clarity, I’m not talking about your official midwife-prescribed home birth kit).
Whether you’re birthing at home, or in the hospital, or at a birthing center, you will want to create a birth space that feels like home to you. You’ll also want to have a few basic supplies to help you stay comfortable as you labor. So what do you put in your custom birth kit? Here are a few suggestions –
- honey straws for a little kick of energy during labor.
- a water bottle with a straw, or a couple of bendy straws for easy drinking in any labor position.
- a comb to help with pain management. Find out more about how to use it over here.
- a heating pad I prefer a microwavable heating pad myself – there’s something about moist heat that is so relaxing, but you can’t beat the convenience of an electric heating pad. Use on tight muscles during labor.
- hair ties, or a headband to keep your hair out of your face and neck.
- chapstick in a minty flavor – your lips will thank you and the mint is refreshing.
- lollipops – the roof of your mouth has a very sensitive pressure point which is said to stimulate uterine contractions and induce relaxation. What a great combo for labor.
- flameless tealights – for ambiance.
- a handheld massager to help with relaxation
- an ice bag that you can fill with hot, or cold water/ice for comfort during labor.
Did you have a custom birth kit? What did you put in yours? What would you add to this list?